History of Blythswood Square
Work began on laying out Blythswood Square in 1821, on a hill site that lay to the west of the city. The square consists of four identical classical terraces facing a central garden. The original building work was completed circa 1823.
Blythswood Square became the Clubhouse for The Royal Scottish Automobile Club (RSAC) from 1910. The club bought up single houses along the eastern side of Blythswood Square until it owned the whole row, and then commissioned James Miller to remodel the whole terrace as the club headquarters. The rebuilding work was finished in 1926, leaving the RSAC with an elegant and comfortable venue where most of Glasgow's business community would meet.
The B-listed building Corners West George Street to the South and West Regent Street to the North, the building is located in The Glasgow City Central Conservation Area.
Blythswood Square was originally intended by the Georgian architects and planners of the time to be the "new" centre of the city, and although this is largely true from a geographical standpoint, Royal Exchange Square in the Merchant City area still remains Glasgow's "official" centre.
Blythswood Square was one of eight official starting points of the 1955 Monte Carlo Rally. The original Scottish start for the Monte Carlo Rally had been in John O'Groats but was subsequently moved to Blythswood Square.
The Royal Scottish Automobile Club sold their property in 2002 to 'Blythswood Developers'. The building was purchased by The Town House Collection in January 2006. The hotel opened in November 2009.