History at The Bonham
The Bonham is very proud of its Edinburgh history.
The Bonham shares history with Edinburgh University! What is now instantly recognisable as The Bonham hotel, Edinburgh, was originally designed by John Lessels in the late 19th Century, as city centre townhouses.
The Drumsheugh Gardens triangle was built between 1874 and 1882. The three storey residences were quickly recognised as "des-res" with one house being sold for what would seem by today's standards, as a mere £6,000.
Title deeds for the property show that numbers 33-36 were sold to Messer's Wade and Wilkie who were responsible for the development in the 1920's. By 1939, the three houses were collectively known as 'The Private Clinic' combined and operating as a medical practice under one roof, until 1951.
The Consulting Room, a calm and peaceful bar area within the hotel, is firmly believed to have once been the main consultancy room in the surgery.
In 1951 'The Private Clinic' was sold to the University of Edinburgh for £30,000 as part of a plan to develop its halls of residences. Originally starting life as Muir Hall in George Square, the halls accommodated 62 students which were later reduced to more intimate homely surroundings for around 46 students.
It originally only took female medical students, but in the late 1970s it became a mixed hall. At the same time it changed from full board to self catering.
Originally it accommodated over 90 students, with up to four students in some of the very large rooms (now superior rooms and suites). There was also an annexe at 1 Rothesay Place. Latterly it took closer to 60 students, as rooms had to be converted to bathrooms and rooms for 4 students were no longer acceptable.
Former residents recount tales of the evening hot water trolley that was left out in the lower hall ensuring students would never be short of a cup of tea or coffee whilst studying long into the night (a tradition we like to keep with 24 hour room service).
The girls fondly remember the bathroom units housing rows of baths in individual cubicles. Perfect for catching up on the day's gossip, or for water fights on a Friday evening! And, most definitely perfect for letting off steam after a hard week poring over the books…
The hall has had its share of famous visitors, even before becoming The Bonham, and was a resting place for those attending the International TV Festival, with celebrities such as Anna Ford and Michael Heseltine's daughter, making use of the University's facilities.
In 1997, the premises were bought by The Town House Collection who took infinite care in a complete and historically sympathetic renovation of the buildings. Part of the renovation process involved the installation of luxury private bathrooms in each of the 49 contemporary designed bedrooms.
In 1998 The Bonham, Edinburgh opened to great critical acclaim, winning national awards of excellence.
Shortly after opening, Condé Nast Traveller dubbed it "One of the Coolest Hotels of the Twenty First Century". A remarkable achievement indeed, given those very walls continue to stand proudly into their second century.
Recently The Bonham, along with sister property Blythswood Square in Glasgow, were purchased by Starwood Capital Group. Exciting plans are currently being formulated, which will improve the hotel whilst retaining the friendly and homely atmosphere we are renowned for.
To make a booking at The Bonham please contact our Reservations team:
T: 0131 247 7400