Great 8 Comes to Glasgow
- 21 Mar 2012
The Great 8 come to Glasgow...Eight of the UKs leading chef have forged an alliance collectively known as the ‘Great 8’. Every two months they team up at venues around the UK and prepare a scintillating and delicious eight course tasting menu for diners who enjoy fresh seasonal British produce cooked with flair and skill.
On Monday 19th March, the eight created their first dinner in Scotland. The event, which has been described as ‘the most anticipated restaurant event of the year’ took place at Blythswood Square when diners had a unique opportunity to explore exquisite cuisine, cooked by the UK’s finest chefs, accompanied by some of the world’s finest wines.
The menu and list of chefs included :
• Derek Donaldson: Blythswood Square, Glasgow (AA Scottish Hotel of the Year 2011/12, 2 AA Rosettes) – Kallin Crab Lasagna, Langoustine Fritte
• Phil Cubin: Gilpin Lodge Country House Hotel (AA hotel of the Year England 2011/12, 3 AA Rosettes) – Goosnargh duckling, jersey royals, carrots and smoke bacon, mint pea puree
• Aiden Byrne: church Green, Lymm (youngest chef to achieve a Michelin Star; BBC Great British Menu & Saturday Kitchen; 3 AA Rosettes) – Rabbit with Langoustine
• Alan Irwin: Lujon, Bromley (visonarydining.com Best Newcomer 2011) – Scallop Curry & Salt Cod
• Steve Smith: Freemasons, Wiswell (visonarydining.com Best Newcomer 2011)
• Mark Poynton: Alimentum, Cambridge (3 AA Rosettes) - Black forest, pliable ganache, black cherry sorbet
• Roger Hickman, Hickman’s, Norwich (2AA Rosettes)
View a gallery of the food on our facebook page.
Derek Donaldson, Executive Head Chef at Blythswood Square, is proud to have his name alongside such an illustrious list of the UK’s top chefs. He said: ‘To be able to welcome such an amazing group of dedicated individuals to our kitchen here in Glasgow was a real privilege for the team here.
‘As a chef, it is also a rare opportunity to showcase Scottish produce and to work alongside my peers to create a memorable and un-missable dining experience. A once in a lifetime opportunity for me!’
The Great 8 was created to support Hospitality Action, the Hospitality Industry Benevolent Association - for over 170 years this charity has offered vital assistance to all who work, or have worked within hospitality in the UK and who find themselves in crisis.
Apart from supporting Hospitality Action, these events uniquely allow top chefs to network and collaborate together by pushing the boundaries of gastronomic excellence. We want to share their passion with you on these very special nights.
Photograph (left to right)
Phil Cubin, Gilpin Lodge Country House; Adam Stokes, Glenapp Castle; Gordon Cartwright, Visionary Dining; Derek Donaldson, Blythswood Square; Aiden Byrne, Church Green; Alan Irwin, Lujon; and Mark Poynton, Alimentum